The World Health Organization announced on Monday that Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is spreading at its fastest rate.
Less than three weeks ago, the WHO said the outbreak of the haemorrhagic fever was largely contained and could be stopped by September.
WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier said the number of cases hit a record 57 the following week, and then jumped to 73 last week.
Mr Lindmeier added that the organisation’s major challenge is lack of access to some areas due to ongoing violence.
The current outbreak is believed to have killed 676 people and infected 406 others. Another 331 patients have recovered.