Residents of Abule-Egba yesterday protested against the State Government’s plan to demolish over 1,000 houses and shops for the expansion of the Lagos-Abeokuta Road.
The residents accused the government of reneging on its agreement with property owners. They said, rather than continue the project based on the agreed 32 metres from the old electric poles, the government last week extended portions for demolition to 91.44 metres.
They alleged that the government planned to render them homeless, adding that they were told that the demolition of marked structures would start tomorrow.
The residents claimed that the development has left four aged landladies hospitalised, including Mrs. Soyebatu Atobajaye, adding that over 10,000 people would be jobless if government went ahead with the plan.
According to them, a September 22 letter from the Ministry of Physical Planning, signed by F.A. Danboyi, notifying them of the 91.44 metres Right of Way (RoW) also directed that they should within seven days, provide documents validating their ownership.