The Presidency on Monday condemned the renewed xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other Africans in South Africa, calling for the urgent intervention by the African Union (AU).
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, stated these in a statement in Abuja.
While urging restraint on the part of Nigerians, Dabiri-Erewa warned that further attacks without any reprimand may have dire consequences.
She regretted that 116 Nigerians had been killed in the last two years and about 20 were killed in 2016 alone.
The presidential aide said the unhealthy development was unacceptable.
She said “We have lost about 116 Nigerian in the last two years and in 2016 alone, about 20 were killed. This is unacceptable to the people and government of Nigeria.”
Stressing that the attacks were unnecessary setback, she advised Nigerians to be extra cautious.
Dabiri-Erewa also called on the South African government to take decisive and definitive measures to protect Nigerians and other Africans within South African borders.
Leave a Reply